First is the issue of requirements, which includes having either a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or an Individual Tax Number (ITN). Social Insurance Numbers are granted to residents/citizens of Canada through application and allow you to invest or work in Canada – including owning a property. Alternatively, those who are not eligible for a Canadian SIN apply for Individual Tax Numbers by filing form T1261, which is subsequently filed with the income tax return. T1261 forms are not easy to file, for your own benefit enlist the help of a professional to file it.